Monday 11 March 2013

Zoladdiction - The Emile Zola Reading Challenge


Zoladdiction, hosted by Fanda at Fanda Classiclit and O at Delaisse, will be my first ever reading challenge! As I have never attempted a reading challenge before, I thought I would start small. The event takes place throughout the month of April and you can join Zoladdiction  at varying commitment levels:
  • 1st level: Maheude (reading 1 book)
  • 2nd level: Gervaise (reading 2-3 books)
  • 3rd level: Nana (reading 4 books or more)
I don't know why I haven't read any Zola before. My favourite literary movement is realism and as far as I can tell, naturalism, of which Zola was the master, is an extension of that movement. Bearing this in mind, I have a feeling that Zola is going to be absolutely fantastic - I hope I haven't set my expectations too high!

I intend to attempt the second level: Gervaise, and read two books. I have already managed to find a second-hand copy of Germinal and if I can't find a copy of The Masterpiece I will borrow it from the library.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for participating! I hope you'll be contaminated to Zoladdiction when April come... :)

    Germinal is a very good start, and I'm going to read The Masterpiece too for this challenge. It's always interesting to read a semi-autobiographical novel of a great author, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on The Masterpiece. It's the book that I am most interested in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from another person taking part in the challenge. *waves* Reading challenges are so much fun, especially when it's an author that we're all discovering and exploring together this way. Look forward to seeing how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I first came across Zoladdiction on your blog (thanks!), which then led me to Fanda Classiclit.

    I'm looking forward to reading Zola, and I feel that I will learn a lot from seeing how other bloggers engage with and respond to the text.

    Maybe this will be the first challenge of many more.

    ReplyDelete